Pages

Monday, August 11, 2014

Fabulous Steamed Banana Cake 蒸香蕉蛋糕 - LTU


Steamed cake vs Oven Baked
I choose to steam the cake over baking it. What about you?



Baked cake is dense and a bit dry unlike the steamed cake, which is light moist and fluffy, that is my experience in my cake making journey.
Would you like to  share your views and  experience? 

Here is some comparison that might help, click here.

Beside steamed Banana Cake, I shared recipes on Steamed Peppermint Orange layered Cake, Steamed Pandan Layer Cakes and the most popular Super Moist Steamed Chocolate cake.

Here I would to highlight my Irresistible Super Moist Steamed Chocolate Cake which is a hit even at  my charity cooking demo at Ti-Ratana, Penchala, PJ, Spastic Centre, PJ and Shelter Home.  
A sure keeper!


Updated on 9th September 2014, Steamed another Banana Cake using Clabber Girl baking Powder (strongly recommended by our famous Chef William Tan)  You may join his fanpage.  for interesting recipes.



Steamed Banana Cake with Clabber Girl Baking Powder and w/o CG
The results - The cake is more spongy and soft with Clabber Girl Baking Powder. My family love it! So do U! 



 


This version of Steamed Banana cake is marvelous, its light, fluffy and moist!  We love it!





 Sieved flour mixture with flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.


 Best to use  slightly over ripped bananas







 Mashed bananas with vanilla  essense.





 Steamed banana Cake is ready.










I added  cinnamon powder and rum  to give that extra oomps to the cake!  The result is just marvelous! 
Here are the bakes that I added Cinnamon powder -  Apple Butter Cake,  Carrot Walnut Cake and Cottony Baked Cheesecake. 

Recipe adapted from Oriental cuisine Issue 103 with some modification.

Ingredients A

3 eggs
80 gms brown sugar  (I used 60gms)
1/8 tsp salt (I omitted)
65gm  corn oil

Ingredients B

200gm  mashed banana 
1/4 tsp vanilla essence (I used 1 tsp)
1 tbsp of rum  


Flour ingredients - Sieve together

100 gms plain flour
1tsp baking 
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp of cinnamon  ( I love the aroma of cinnamon)



  1. Fill up sufficient water in a steamer, grease the baking pan. (I used 7inch sq tin)
  2. Whisk ingredients A  with electric mixer till fluffy, add in ingredient B to blend and mix well.
  3. Add in flour mixture and mix till well combined.  
  4. Pour the mixture to the cake pan and steam for  15 to 20 mins till cooked.
  5. Test to see if skewer inserted comes out clean and remove cake from hot steamer.  Leave to cook before cutting into slices.


Friendly Tips -  

Make sure the steamer is at a rolling boil before putting the cake in.




This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Diana of Domestic Goddess WannabePlease link your post HERE!!









8 comments:

  1. Hi Christine! I did try a steamed chocolate cake (not your recipe but someone else's) but it was not good due to the recipe. So the next steamed cake if I want to try I will use your recipe. I love banana cake and I would like to try this steamed one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh.... Phong Hong, the Super Moist Steamed cake and Steamed Banana cake is sure a keeper. Make a point to steam these cake you will not regret! hehehe.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine, My goodness!!! This is so gooooood... It looks so moist and fluffy. I am bookmarking this recipe and hope to try this as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing, Christine. Cheers and warmest regards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy, yesu, the steamed version of cakes are as good as baked version if not better! Yeah!

      Delete
  4. Hi Christine,

    Your steamed banana cake looks very moist and yummy! Oh, I must try!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christine this is very interesting. I have no steamed a cake before and the resulting cake is impressive!

    ReplyDelete