Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Indonesian Layer Cake 印尼千层蛋糕


I only bake this  once a year during Lunar New Year celebration as the ingredients needs lot of egg yolks and  plenty of patients to bake it layer by layer.  This Chinese New year of water Dragon  is my 2nd attempts for Indonesian Layer Cake.  My 1st attempt was during Chinese New Year time too.  Will I bake this cake again next year??  Haha.... who knows  ....  hope to take up the challenge again next year!

               

 This was the Layer Cake I baked during last Chinese New Year!  A great success!



This is tedious, time consuming and patient tasting attempt, but the end result of this  tasty yummy cake is worth the hard labour  of love lo!


                           
 This year attempt doesn't look as tempting as last year, the consolation is the taste is not  compromise at all! 

I did my research on internet for  my 1 try, there are too many recipes to choose from.  My last bake I used 12 eggs white, and I can't remember where I got the recipe from that leads no posting on the cake  onto my blog.  My sincere apology!   Or....  Anyone has the 12 egg yolk recipe on layer cake to share?

The original source recipe is from fatmumbaking, I have make some alternation on the original recipe.

Ingredients

500 butter
150g caster sugar
20 egg yolks
2 tbsp brandy
2 tsp rum paste
1 tbsp mixed spice ( I used cinnamon powder)
170 gm cake flour
200 gm condensed milk

10 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
50 g caster sugar

Method

 Preheat oven to 200c. Placed a 9  inches (mine is 10") square tin before greasing and lining paper (paper lining only applicable to the bottom of tin) and warm up the tin.

  1. Cream butter, condensed milk and rum flavor at medium speed for abt 5 mins until creamy. Add in the flour and cinnamon powder.  Mix well and set aside.
  2. Whisk egg yolks, sugar  at max speed until thick and add in (1) * Fold 1/3 of egg yolk batters into (1). Ensure they are well cooperate with (1) before adding another 1/3.
  3. Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar at max speed until stiff
  4. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into (2) and continue the process of folding the rest of whites. Remove hot tin from oven and lay paper at the bottom of tin. Spread a small amt of batter into tin
  5. If you are using a 9 inches tin then pour 120 gm of batter at every layer. But if you are using 10 inches square tin the batter should be 150gm. You will need to weigh the batter to ensure every layer is even. (This is the tedious one)
  6. Used top and bottom heat for first layer and placed the tin at middle rack. Baked the first layer for about 5-7 mins till golden brown
  7. Adjust the temp to 240c and used only top heat to bake the subsequent layers. Each layer took about 2.5-4mins to bake.

Note:
* For ovens that do not allow the setting of top heat only, place a baking tray filled with water and placed at the bottom of the oven.
* Lapis stored at room temperature can last for abt 4-5 days. If chiller, it can be stored for a month

Phew!  finally the cake is done for a time period of more that 3 hours, but you will love this Layer Cake!  Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment