It is a satisfying bite of each siew mai.
Here is the recipe.
200gm minced pork
150gm prawns -shelled and minced ( I prefer to chopped into pcs)
3 dried mushrooms - soaked, and chopped finely
3 water-chestnuts, chopped finely
2 tbsp of chopped spring onions
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tesp sesame oil
30-35 pcs wantan skin, trimmed into neat round shape
1 tbsp finely chopped carrots or 2 steamed salted egg yolks
- Combine mined port and prawn meat with salt, fish sauce, sugar and pepper, Mix well until mixture turns sticky. Add mushrooms, water-chestnuts and spring onions. stir in sesame oil and cornflour. Mix well. Lastly add the egg and blend well.
- Chill filling in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Put a pc of wantan skin on top of your thumb and index finger. Add 1 full teaspoon of filling in the center. Bring the edges together with the back of the teaspoon. Press down the filling and smooth the surface. Flatten the bottom so that Siew Mai sits properly.
- Place the Siew Mai on a greased steaming bamboo basket. sprinkle with a little carrot to garnish.
- Steam Siew Mai over high heat for about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove and serve hot with chilli sauce.