Pages

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Dumplings In White Fungus Soup 雪耳湯圓


My son and eldest daughter reached home 3.30am on 25th December for their year end break. Whole family went for dim sum at 9.30am and do some marketing. Back home, both of them continue their sleep. I decided to prepare a traditional Apple Pie (photos and recipe will post soon) for the family.
And this special Dumplings Tong Yuan is prepared by my youngest daughter, Tammie assisted by Pearly later on, Husband and son be the judges and I am the cameraman.
My family celebrate belated Winter Solstice 冬至 on Christmas Day in stead of 22nd December.
We had precious afternoon teatime savvy Tammie's Tong Yuan and my traditional Apple Pie.

Recipe adapted from the Star, Section 2 by Amy Beh dated 21st December 2010.

Ingredients

200 gm glutinous rice flour
20gm tapioca flour
30 gms shortening (I omitted)
100 -120 gms water
Some coloring
I used a tsp Green Tea powder mix with some hot water to make the green color tong yuan.
40gms dried apricots, sliced (I omitted)
4 honey dates
8 seeded chinese red dates
30gms white fungus , soaked
1 litre water
70gm rock sugar or taste
some screwpine leaves, knotted.

Method

  1. Place glutinous rice flour, tapioca flour in a mixing bowl. Pour in water and mix into a soft and pliable dough. Pinch out dough into equal portions and roll into rounds balls of tong yuen. (Tammie add some color on portions of the dough)
  2. Bring a pot of water to a boil, drop in the balls of tong yuen and cook until they start to float. Remove with a slotted spoon into a basin of cold water.
  3. In the meantime, combine water, honey dated, white fungus, red dated, screwpine leaves and rocks sugar and bring to boil, simmer for at least 20 minutes.
  4. Add apricots and simmer for another 2-3 minutes. ( I add in the tong yuen at this stage)
  5. Dish out the white fungus soup and serve topped with the balls of tong yuen
The preparation and cooking is done by Tammie, I am just giving some guidance alone the way. Good job, Tammie keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment